Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Why Blackboard 9 Stinks

I used to like blackboard and now I hate blackboard. What changed? Their latest version has too many bells and whistles and the main functionality of the system has developed bugs. The new version has many flaws and has caused me and the students lots of grief. I spent hours grading discussion only to lose it. Quizzes and Discussion boards disappear when the "Display Until" is activated.
The following is a simple video I made that shows the problems that were encountered by me. Listening to my colleagues I know that there are many more horror stories out there.

1 comment:

  1. Mike,

    I've experienced some of the same problems with BB v9. This is what happens when a company becomes a monopoly. There's no need for BB to put out a high quality product anymore because so many schools and businesses are already locked in. We've seen the same thing with Microsoft, and Google is walking a fine line.

    I wholeheartedly encourage us to take another look at implementing a pilot project, or two, that looks at alternatives (proprietary or open source) to BB that we may consider implementing in the future.

    Just my .02 cents ... Muata

    ReplyDelete

All views are welcome. Please do not use foul language.