Wednesday, September 07, 2011

We Ask Difficult Questions Because...

I just got home from a grueling 8 hours of designing a class. The idea for this class has its origins in  my favorite trustee Maria Elena Martinez representing Pico Rivera, and me attending the southern California Transfer Course M??? ( I forget what the M in TCM stands for do you know?) for the Economics degree. Well my favorite trustee wanted a labor studies program similar to the one at LA Trade Tech and at the Economics TCM meeting the econ professors from both Cal States and Community Colleges agreed that there is a need for an International Economics course for any Economics degree.
While looking at the Labor studies program at LA Trade Tech program I found a course that would fit both needs. However, this course would only transfers to one school. I looked around at other schools and found a very similar course that transfers to all schools in the U.C. system and Cal State schools. The course is International Political Economy. This course is cross listed as Political Science and Economics.
Next I made the mistake of asking Colin Young if he was interested in helping me with this project. After a few months of asking difficult questions and taking notes, he agreed to work on the course. What I was not expecting was that he would lock me up in the tower till we got it done.
He agreed to let us out to have dinner. We ran into an Administrator who asked us
"What are you trouble makers up to now?"
Dear Administration we are not troublemakers. We are believers! Every faculty member that speaks up and questions your decisions is doing so because they care about this school.
We the faculty will be here for the next 20 or 30 years. We see Rio Hondo as a home.
Like most homeowners we take pride in our home and that is why we work hard and ask difficult questions.  We ask these questions both of you and each other.

Talking of working hard. I need to report this guy to my Union representative. Wait this guy is the Union President!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All views are welcome. Please do not use foul language.