Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Audio Vs. Print

I have been listening to audio books from Audible on my iPod. Mostly I listen to novels by authors such as Kurt Vonnegut, Haruki Murakami, Neil Gaiman, and other quirky writers. Also I listen to books on historical figures. However recently I tried to listen  Antifragile Things that gain from disorder by my favorite author Nassim Taleb.   I realized that unlike fictional novels, I can not follow nonfiction books in an audio format. 
Although it was fun to listen to his arguments, it was hard to follow it. I found myself constantly going back and reviewing what was said.
This made me understand why some students can remember and rewrite my crazy stories on the essay portion of their exams, but can not completely answer the question.  I believe they are relying on my lecture and are not reading the textbook.
As they listen to my lectures they remember the stories I tell to make the lecture more interesting but miss the more technical aspect??
Talking of stories I am working on using a story from the book Rant by Chuck Palanhiuk, to illustrate how resources can be misallocated. In this story Rant finds gold coins and gives them to his classmates. As the number of children with gold coins (with purchasing power) increases, the store owners expand the number of aisles dedicated to toys reducing the number of aisles for other  necessities. Also prices start going up which is another econ concept. Can you name it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All views are welcome. Please do not use foul language.