Sunday, August 11, 2013

Is it Hope and Change or Fear of Change?

Yesterday, I discovered my fear of loneliness in a 79 years old man. As I sat with a 79 years old Marine that left the Marine Corp after serving our country in Vietnam in 1968 who dislikes all Muslims and evangelist "that push their crap down the throat of others." (his words). I discovered he tolerated my background because he was lonely and wanted someone to listen. We have made plans to cook up bacon (Hallal bacon) and eggs once a week at his place.
After leaving the Marine Corp in 1968 he became a successful entrepreneur and he can satisfy his every physical need but he gave me the impression that he was not happy. The theme running through his complaints was loneliness and change.
He talked about how things change but I could sense disdain for the word change.  I love change but I started to question my love of change. As I listened to him with Fox News running in the background in my head I was listening to an internal dialogue. It  went something like this "Is change worth it? Look at how much pain it causes?.. Is it hope and change or fear of loss and change? The fear of losing a known way of life!"
Any way I have to go and buy some bacon. May Allah forgive me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All views are welcome. Please do not use foul language.