Wednesday, June 01, 2011

The Latest Controversy at Rio

Some faculty and academic deans have been asking for past semester class schedules so they can have a discussion about which schedule worked and which did not! The first impulse of these faculty and deans was to argue for bringing back the printed schedule. Now it could be that these faculty were asking for a "printable schedule" but I heard "printed schedule".

The people in charge did not agree to this request because the cost of printing was not justified. I agreed with this decision of not printing copies of a schedule that gets thrown away by students.  Again I may have misheard the request of these faculty.

After listening carefully to the deans and the faculty as to why they want a printed schedule, I advocated leaving the schedule from past semesters up on the website.
The people in charge pointed out correctly that this would confuse students. I heard their point and searched for other schools that are using the Banner system. I found a great example of how another school, up the road from Rio, that uses the same system does it.

I sent the link and screenshots to both sides. The faculty liked this idea but the people in charge were not receptive. They did not say NO but their response was not...... So I decided to post on this blog. From here on out, the rest of this post will be in pictures.  I hope it is not too complicated!
Above is a screen-shot of what would satisfy the Faculty  but the powers in charge do not agree.
Above is a screenshot of another item that is requested by some faculty and deans to help students understand the rules at Rio Hondo. However, this idea is rejected too. Why? I do not know. I am just a lowly faculty and the deans keep their mouth shut around me.
Above is a screen-shot of the other school's "live" schedule which is the exact copy of what we have at Rio Hondo. The people in charge are very sensitive and can not accept suggestions. I hope the sarcastic tone of my commentary does not kill this excellent idea. Unfortunately most likely it will and we will continue debating "who is right?"!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All views are welcome. Please do not use foul language.