Saturday, August 17, 2013

Community College Classes in 1968-9

I drank beer (it has to be Bud) with my 78 or 79 years old Marine neighbor. The conversation turned to what I do an where I teach. To my surprise he was familiar with the California Community College system. After returning from Vietnam in 1968 he attended OCC.
He told me about how he was offended by students who were there not for learning and disrupted the learning process, and how he once stood up and told the class to "shut their traps" because "I am here to learn and get a job."
I quickly offered him a job to attend my class and pull the same stunt. We both laughed and took another sip of our Budweiser. However, today I realized that I am lucky to teach at Rio Hondo college where the students are some of the best behaved in my short teaching experience as a community college instructor.  I am blessed to be working with some of the finest students in California.
If you were a student at Rio Hondo in the past please share your favorite memories with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All views are welcome. Please do not use foul language.